Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Book




I figure since I claim to be writing a novel I might as well talk about it. Well, its still in the works, I am not happy with it at the moment so I am re-writing parts of it. Basically, I am going with the theme of seeing things in a new light, much like a Christian conversion. The story follows a woman named Gloria, who was born blind. The story follows several events in her childhood. For example, there is an event where Gloria is introduced to flowers and she loves the smell. She decides she wants to be a florist when she grows up. Another event is her listening to the 4th of July fireworks and loving the sounds. In most of the events, I emphasize the other senses, which normal people do not focus on in these events, as they are secondary. Gloria grows up. Then, while attending a church service, she is miraculously healed, getting her sight for the first time. Here is the excerpt (so far) of that scene:

"Gloria arose from her knees as the congregation began to scurry about as the pastor had ended the service. As Gloria stood, something entered her eyelids. Light. Gloria, caught off guard at the new situation, stumbled back into her family, who were waiting for her to finish her weekly Sunday prayer. 'What's wrong?' Gloria's mother asked. Gloria, not answering, rubbed her eyes. She spun about, gazing at the floor, then the pews, then the large cross perched on the wall in the front of the room. 'Something is weird, mom.'"

Gloria ends up learning that what she is experiencing is sight. She returns to her job as a florist and for the first time gazes at all her beautiful flowers. She experiences the fireworks of the 4th of July. Gloria learns of all the beautiful things in the world she had not been aware of her whole life. She feels like a new woman.

This is the summary of my story. I am working on the poetic part of the writing, which can be frustrating at times. I just can't seem to write like I used to when I was younger. But I enjoy what I do. I enjoy the attempt, and I know that whatever I end up writing I will be proud of. I encourage anyone out there who has something inspirational to let it out in some way. If you are a musician, write a song. If you are writer, write about it. If you are a painter, paint it. Even if it is not "commercial" (not what I'm going for, but will be happy if it ends up being so), it does not matter. You contributed to the inspiration of the world, and we all know how much this world can use inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment